End of Day 6 - Projects and Reflections

In between all these workshops, there is the coffee breaks, where helpful conversations can happen. I seem to come out of myself and join the group, which is normal for my introverted self. I don't warm quickly to people, it happens slowly. In these conversations I found myself sharing more about where I am in life, and the difficult masters experience, and just where to go next.

I have this growing sense that perhaps academically that masters really wasn't the last word, that one day, not now, I might well attempt another degree. I probably would go in older, with more experience, knowing where to get support from, how to defend myself better, protect myself better, knowing my rights if I come to blows with someone else, knowing when to back off if I am not doing well or not coping, with a dissertation pretty much already written, if not partially researched, having read how to write an amazing dissertation, probably employ a body guard etc, and so forth, before going near another institution.

Or perhaps bypass the institution altogether and do a dissertation completely without that sort of input.

At least, if I never do another degree, I have to accept myself as a thinking person. I once said quite openly I no longer liked being called academic, after two traumatic experiences of academia, but I can't escape it as a part of me, I am beginning to realise. It is trying to use what skills I have to make it in the normal world, now, and see if perhaps research and or teaching away from academia could suit me better. I will think, and I will wonder about the nature of why things are the way they are, I really don't have a choice in the matter. I can either try and suppress that tendency or try and find an alternative to academia.

On this course I am currently on, we have the opportunity to do a spirit lead project. This is something we talked about after dinner. As I have slowly warmed up to this week, the idea of a project has become more appealing. You can not fail it, and it is not graded. I figure this could be a wonderful opportunity for self expression which just wouldn't happen in a university. A chance to create something beautiful, perhaps.

Past projects have included writing a poetry book, reflecting on Quaker practice in training to be a teacher, joining a young spiritual friendship group, and saying yes to everything and not holding back in life. In the last project the individual ended up doing some amazing travelling and found a job, so, that could be a potential project...

Well it is getting late. There is a lot more to process and think about, but all exciting and interesting and Quakerly.

Tomorrow is Quiet Day, a time for more spiritual reflections and silence. The challenge of speaking very little awaits..

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Song of the Sea Lisa Hannigan Lyrics

Stuck on the Artist's Way

The Freud Museum